Cedar Fort, Inc., a publishing company in Springville, UT, is looking for a highly motivated substantive editor to join our team. The prime focus of this position is to read manuscripts and understand how they need to be changed for the better and then communicate that effectively to authors for rewrites and revisions. Cedar Fort publishes around 140 books per year. The subeditors are responsible for going through all manuscripts, which include a variety of religious and non-religious fiction and nonfiction books. Sometimes this occurs under tight time constraints.
We are looking for an individual that is an avid reader and that can quickly go through manuscripts spotting the trouble areas. Candidates should be excellent communicators and possess a team player mentality. Critical responsibilities include project managing several books per month. This includes reviewing manuscripts for publication, working directly with the authors, and managing author expectations. The subeditor will need to be able to work well with authors and maintain a strong relationship with them. This person also represents Cedar Fort to the public and to authors, and therefore, needs to have a positive and friendly attitude. Some overtime is required throughout the course of the year to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Editing experience preferred
- No publishing experience necessary
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Very strong people networking skills
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge, Mac knowledge is a plus
- Experience in an office environment
- Proven ability to balance and prioritize multiple goals and tasks
- Work well in a cohesive team-oriented environment
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks
- Passion for reading and writing
- Able to quickly read through manuscripts and evaluate them for quality
This is a full time position from 8AM-5PM Monday-Friday, with an hour lunch break. Pay starts at $12.00 an hour, plus some required overtime. Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Mike Gee at email@example.com with “Substantive Editor Position” in the subject, and we will consider scheduling an interview. Position open until filled. If you would like more information about our company, please check out our website at www.cedarfort.com.