Do you love books and media? Are you sales minded? This job might be the perfect fit for you.
Cedar Fort, Inc., a publishing company in Springville, UT, is looking for a highly motivated acquisitions specialist to join our team. The prime focus of this position is to aggressively search for unique creative content for publishing, media distribution, and merchandising. Cedar Fort publishes around 140 books per year. The Acquisitions team is responsible for filling the monthly quota of book slots, which include a variety of religious and non-religious fiction and non-fiction books. Sometimes this occurs under tight time constraints.
We are looking for an individual with the sales/ “hunter” mentality that will focus on going out and acquiring the talent. Candidates should be excellent communicators and possess a team player mentality. They must be able to effectively utilize social media, the Internet, and traditional searching methods to find new authors and manuscripts. In addition to seeking new content, this position will assist the sales department in finding new business channels and strategic relationships.
Critical responsibilities include project managing several books per month. This includes soliciting to find good authors, negotiating contracts, reviewing manuscripts for publication, working directly with the authors, and managing author expectations. The acquisitions specialist will need to be able to work well with authors and maintain a strong relationship with them. This person also represents Cedar Fort to the public, to authors, at book conferences, etc. and therefore needs to have a positive and friendly attitude. Some overtime is required throughout the course of the year to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Internet and social media savvy required
- Sales or marketing experience is preferred
- No publishing experience necessary
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Very strong people networking skills
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge, Mac knowledge is a plus
- Experience in an office environment
- Proven ability to balance and prioritize multiple goals and tasks
- Work well in a cohesive team-oriented environment
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks
- Passion for reading and writing
- Able to quickly read through manuscripts and evaluate them for quality
This is a full time position from 8AM-5PM Monday-Friday, with an hour lunch break. Pay starts at $12.00 an hour, plus some required overtime. Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Mike Gee at email@example.com with “Acquisitions Editor Position” in the subject, and we will consider scheduling an interview. Position open until filled. If you would like more information about our company, please check out our website at www.cedarfort.com.